Free Plant Issue Scheme
If you have purchased a brand new residential block of land in the ACT you are entitled to an allocation of plants from the Yarralumla Nursery. The ACT Government provides these plants to help you beautify your new home and your suburb. There is no further cost to the householder. Below are our most frequently asked questions. The Plant Issue Scheme is open weekdays from 9 am to 3 pm and is closed on weekends and public holidays. See the Plant Issue Scheme flyer for more information.
Am I eligible for an allocation*?
The allocation of trees and shrubs may be registered and collected at any time up to two years from the date of signing the land purchase agreement. This eligibility is transferable if the land is sold during this period. For allocation to newly completed government owned homes, tenants should contact the Housing trust.
*Please note that this only applies to newly released land in the ACT and does not include blocks that were purchased under the Loose Fill Asbestos Insulation (Mr Fluffy) Eradication Scheme.
What is my allocation?
Plants to the value of $220 per block can be selected by choosing one of the following three packages:
- Package A: 20 x 140mm pots
- Package B: 10 x 200mm pots
- Package C: 10 x 140mm and 5 x 200mm pots
Note: the total issue can be made to the Body Corporate if all tenants agree.
How do I collect my allocation?
Plants may be collected from the Yarralumla Nursery during opening hours.
Plant issue Scheme Brochure (PDF 82KB) (Word 89KB)
What evidence do I need to register for plant issue?
- A current rates notice of the new property.
- Photographic personal identification/Drivers License.
- An original of one of the following legal documents:
- Settlement papers (Preferred);
- Contract of sale (with stamp duty stamp); or
- Letter from your solicitor confirming settlement
The aim of free plant issue
- Since the beginning of the Free Plant Issue Scheme (1930), emphasis has been placed on the role it plays in preserving the "Garden City" concept.
- It is hoped that new home owners will be encouraged to begin a garden immediately without having to justify the cost.
- It is hoped that by providing species which are suitable for the local climatic and soil conditions, new home owners will not be discouraged when plants fail to thrive (a problem which can occur when plants are imported from other climates).
Contact Details for Yarralumla Nursery
Regular Opening Hours
Monday to Friday:
7.30 am to 4 pm
Yarralumla ACT 2600
Phone: 02 6207 2447
The ACT Government is committed to improving the accessibility of web content. To provide feedback or request an accessible version of a document please contact us or phone 13 22 81.