|Traffic Calming Device / Cost|
Linemarking with kerb extensions
$100,000 - $110,000
|- Can give the impression of a more confined road and result in reduced speeds.|
- Relatively low cost.
- Create a safer interface between driveways and road users.
|- Speed reduction is generally low.|
- Drivers may mistake an empty kerb-side lane as a traffic lane.
$50,000 per set
|- Reduce vehicle speeds.|
- Discourage 'rat running'.
- Aesthetically pleasing.
- When used to narrow the carriageway provide a shorter crossing distance for pedestrians.
|- Relatively expensive.|
- Can make access to adjacent residences more difficult.
- May not reduce motorcycle speeds.
$15,000 per set
|- Reduction in vehicle speeds in the vicinity of the speed cushions.|
- When used as a series reduces the overall speed over the entire length of street.
- Relatively low cost to install and maintain.
- Can be designed to minimise inconvenience for buses and emergency services vehicles.
|- Traffic noise may slightly increase just before and after the speed cushions.|
- Less effective in slowing motorcyclists.
- Less effective in slowing vehicles with a wider track.
To view FAQs on the project please visit the FAQ page.