Ashley Drive duplication
Ashley Drive is an arterial road located in Canberra's south and provides an important link between Johnson Drive in Richardson and Sternberg Crescent in Wanniassa carrying over 20,000 vehicles a day.
Ashley Drive, from Erindale Drive to Johnson Drive, is being duplicated to a dual carriageway. The upgrade will cater to all modes of transport, with north and southbound on-road cycle lanes, additional footpaths to link with existing off-road paths and the duplication of existing underpasses near Statton Street and Bugden Avenue. The duplication of this section of Ashley Drive will aid in easing the increasing traffic demands in this area, particularly by commuters in peak periods.
The upgrade will help address the following issues:
- excessive delays during peak periods where Ashley Drive intersects with Statton Street, Clive Steele Avenue and Bugden Avenue
- excessive queuing and delays on the northbound approach to Isabella Drive during the morning peak
- elevated crash risks at the eastern side intersections including Statton Street, Bugden Avenue and Clift Crescent missing links in the existing footpath network.
Scope of works
- Duplication of a three kilometre section of Ashley Drive between Erindale Drive and Johnson Drive to a dual carriageway
- Improvements made to the Statton Street, Bugden Avenue, Clift Crescent, Ellerston Avenue and Johnson Drive intersections
- Construction of a new carriageway on the eastern side of the existing road and the north and southbound carriageways will have two 3.5 metre lanes and a two metre on-road cycle lane
- Additional footpaths linking with existing off-road paths
- Duplication of existing underpasses near Statton Street and Bugden Avenue
- Signalised pedestrian crossings at the Statton Street and Bugden Avenue intersections.
Construction of this project began in August 2016. Since that time a number of milestones have been reached including:
- Completion of the noise walls and works on the underground services
- Completion of the Statton Street and Bugden Avenue underpasses
- Completion of the Monks Creek Bridge
- Streetlights have been installed and work on the stormwater infrastructure is completed, along with traffic and pedestrian islands
- Completion of duplication between Isabella Drive and Johnson Drive
In February 2018, traffic was moved onto the completed southbound carriageway between Erindale Drive and Isabella Drive to provide better access for the construction team to complete their final months of work, particularly in the median strip.
The ACT Government is committed to improving the accessibility of web content. To provide feedback or request an accessible version of a document please contact us or phone 13 22 81.