Aikman Drive duplication
Aikman Drive is a key arterial road in Belconnen and an important entry point to the Belconnen Town Centre.
The duplication of Aikman Drive between Ginninderra Drive and Emu Bank will improve access to the University of Canberra Public Hospital (UCPH) which is currently under construction as well as improve access and traffic flow as the population grows in Belconnen and Gungahlin.
Scope of works
Key features of the project include:
- duplication of Aikman Drive between Ginninderra Drive and Emu Bank
- improvements to the intersection of Aikman Drive and Joy Cummings Place – UCPH access road
- a shared use path in the eastern verge of Aikman Drive between Ginninderra Drive and Emu Bank, as well as in the southern verge of Ginninderra Drive between Aikman Drive and Allawoona Street
- Aikman Drive on road cycle lanes between Ginninderra Drive and Emu Bank
- high density native vegetation planting in the Aikman Drive median and eastern verge
- extension of the UCPH east west access road through to Pantowora Street.
The Aikman Drive duplication design team presented the design concept to the Belconnen Community Council in December 2015.
The Aikman Drive duplication Development Application involved a 28 day public advertising period.
The ACT Government has committed $9.8 million to the Aikman Drive duplication works.
Construction activities commenced in November 2016.
Construction is expected to be completed with the new duplicated road open to the public prior to November 2017.
- Belconnen bound traffic will be switched from the existing carriageway to the newly constructed carriageway in late June to allow for work to be carried out in the median. Motorists are encouraged to take extra care due to the new arrangement and changing conditions. The date of the switch will be advised via road side message boards in the lead up to the change.
- Construction working hours will be 7 am to 5 pm on weekdays and 8 am till 1 pm on Saturdays.
- Aikman Drive traffic will be reduced to 40 km/hr during construction working hours and 60 km/h outside of these times.
- Construction activities for the University of Canberra Public Hospital (UCPH) will continue, with UCPH construction traffic accessing the site from the intersection of Aikman Drive and Townsend Place.
- For the next 12 months Aikman Drive will see a large increase in construction vehicles accessing the site. As such Aikman Drive motorists are encouraged to remain vigilant, drive safely and take care.
The ACT Government is committed to improving the accessibility of web content. To provide feedback or request an accessible version of a document please contact us or phone 13 22 81.