Transport Canberra and City Services

New, repair or replace

New bins or repairs

If your wheelie bin is broken, stolen or you're moving to a brand new house, you can request a bin repair or replacement or a new/extra bin or hopper.

Body corporates or managing agents should allow two to three weeks for the delivery of new hoppers.

Remember, you can also drop off your waste, recycling, green waste or building waste.

Replacement program

Older bins across the ACT are progressively being replaced. The new domestic waste bins have the same 140 litre capacity but are more compact, so less likely to tip over. They also have a red lid.

Old bins and parts are reused or recycled where possible.

How to maintain your bins

It's up to you (or your body corporate) to keep bins clean. Occasionally rinse out bins (ensuring rubbish does not flow into gutters and stormwater drains), or use a bin cleaning service.

All supplied wheelie bins remain the property of the ACT Government and should not be painted or permanently marked.

If you are moving house, the wheelie bins remain at the address in which they were originally allocated. If your rubbish or recycling bin is damaged, complete the Bin Repairs and Replacements Request form or contact Access Canberra on 13 22 81.

The ACT Government is committed to improving the accessibility of web content. To provide feedback or request an accessible version of a document please contact us or phone 13 22 81.

We acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the ACT, the Ngunnawal people. We acknowledge and respect their continuing culture and the contribution they make to the life of this city and this region.

Bookmark and Share

Feedback | Languages | Sitemap | Jobs ACT | Privacy | Disclaimer | Copyright Page last updated on 05 February 2019