Wheelie bin collections
Each rate-paying household receives a:
- 240 litre bin with a yellow lid for recycling, and
- 140 litre bin with a green or red lid for domestic rubbish.
Hoppers are often provided in place of bins in multi-unit developments.
SUEZ (formerly SITA) is the contractor who empties wheelie bins on behalf of the ACT Government.
When to put your bins out
Rubbish bins are collected weekly and recycling bins are collected fortnightly. Keep track using:
How to put your bins out
To ensure your rubbish and recycling is collected :
- Put your bins out the night before or by 7am on collection days.
- Remove your bins from the kerbside as soon as possible after they have been emptied.
- Put your bins on the kerbside with the front of the bin facing the road and the wheels at the back.
- Leave a gap of at least 30cm between bins so the truck's arms can pick up each bin.
- Don’t put bins adjacent to trees, parked cars, poles or letterboxes (a minimum of 1 metre from any obstruction).
Make sure bins aren’t overfilled and the lids can close to avoid littering.
The ACT Government is committed to improving the accessibility of web content. To provide feedback or request an accessible version of a document please contact us or phone 13 22 81.