Bulky waste collections
Eligible ACT Residents can arrange one free bulky waste collection per year. Other residents can visit the Recyclopaedia to find out how to correctly recycle or dispose of specific items.
Who is eligible for the free service?
To be eligible for the free service a resident of the household must hold either:
- a current Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card
- an ACTION Gold Concession Card
- a MyWay Seniors card (for cardholders who are aged 70 years and above) or
- a Department of Veterans Affairs Gold Card.
You'll have to show your concession card and proof of address to access the service.
One free collection per household is available to eligible concession card holders each year.
How do I book a collection?
To book a bulky waste collection:
Collections will normally be provided within two weeks of a booking, subject to demand.
How do I prepare for the collection?
- Keep all bulky waste inside your property boundary and in an easily accessible location.
- If you live in a multi-unit development, contact your body corporate or managing agent to identify a suitable location for placement of goods for collection.
- You must be present at the time of the collection (unless prior arrangements are made at the time of booking your collection).
- The maximum amount of bulky waste to be collected per dwelling is two cubic metres (a double bed ensemble or two white goods or a three seater sofa).
Each item must weigh no more than 46kg and must be able to be lifted and handled by two members of staff.
What can be collected?
Bulky items that can be collected
- furniture and household appliances
- garden tools and equipment
- timber up to two metres in length
- white goods/sinks
- building materials/products (excluding rubble)
- metal products/scrap metal
- electrical equipment
- blankets, linen and manchester
- automotive parts
- camping and outdoor equipment
- one mattress
- maximum three televisions or computers.
Items that won't be collected
- more than two cubic metres of waste
- items over 46kg or items that can't be safely lifted by two people
- household chemicals or hazardous wastes
- fireworks, ammunition or explosives
- sheet glass and mirrors
- asbestos sheeting or asbestos products
- gas bottles or fire extinguishers
- dirt or mixed fill material
- sharps, needles or sharps containers
- timber over two metres in length
- garden (grass clipping, prunings) or household organic waste (food).
The ACT Government is committed to improving the accessibility of web content. To provide feedback or request an accessible version of a document please contact us or phone 13 22 81.