What are the main changes?
The new rules around dog exercise areas are:
- all community paths, including 10-metres either side, to be dog on-leash
- all lakes and beaches to be dog on-leash unless otherwise signposted.
Existing rules around dog exercise areas are:
- all streets, including footpaths, to be dog on-leash
- public playgrounds and BBQs to be dog prohibited within 10-metres when in use
- dogs prohibited on sportsgrounds during formal sporting events and off-leash at other times (provided they are under effective control).
The ACT Government is open to feedback on these changes and will be making further refinements in the coming months, such as exploring additional locations for dog swimming areas, to ensure our dog exercise area mapping is clear and aligned to the Canberra Dog Model.