On this page:
Have you lost your dog?
Steps to take if you have lost a dog:
- View the dogs currently at the DAS Shelter. If you aren't sure if your dog appears in the list, you can visit the Domestic Animal Services (DAS) Shelter in person to view the dogs.
- Check the DAS found animals list, where members of the public can list the details of a dog they have found, then you can contact them directly and collect your dog.
- Check with the RSPCA and vet clinics in your area.
- If you still haven't found your dog, please call or email your dog's details so they can be added to the list and members of the public can contact you directly if they find your missing dog.
- Once you have listed your dog as missing, it will appear in the lost pets list.
If you list your dog as missing, then find your dog, please let DAS know so your dog's details can be removed from the list.
Have you found a dog?
Steps to take if you have found a dog:
- If the dog is wearing an ID tag with a contact number on it, try to contact the owner and make arrangements for them to collect their dog.
- Check the lost pets list to see if the owner has reported the dog as lost, then you can contact the owner directly.
- List the dog's details on the found list so the owner can contact you directly.
- Take the dog to a vet clinic where its owner may be identified if the dog is micro-chipped.
- Take the dog to the DAS Shelter on Mugga Lane, Symonston.
- If you find a dog after hours you can leave it at the drop-off pens at the front of the DAS facility. Check the DAS opening hours.
- Two drop off kennels are located adjacent to the main gate at Domestic Animal Services (DAS) on Mugga Lane, Symonston. Dogs left in the drop off kennels will be collected the following morning.
Make sure your dog can be returned if lost
Would a DAS ranger be able to return your dog if they were lost? Unfortunately more than half of Canberra dog owners would have to say "no".
Registering and microchipping your dog is a quick and easy and ensures your dog can be easily returned if lost.
Once your dog is registered and microchipped keep your contact details up to date. To update your registration contact details please email DAS at email@example.com or call Access Canberra on 13 22 81.