Municipal Infrastructure Design Standards
The Municipal Infrastructure Standards (MIS) utilise the AusSpec document framework. This framework provides a level of design consistency across all local government jurisdictions in Australia, and reflects the most up-to-date industry practice. A number of local and regional government jurisdictions have adopted the AusSpec document framework as the primary technical framework for their design standards.
The ACT Government has adopted the AusSpec document framework. Each of the MIS documents provide detailed ACT specific technical design guidance for civil and open space assets as well as references to a number of relevant design documents. The MIS documents have been designed to be read in conjunction with these relevant referenced design documents.
The design of municipal assets in the ACT must be in accordance with the Municipal Infrastructure Design Standards. Where any differences in practice exist between referenced design documents and the Municipal Infrastructure Standard, the later will prevail.
For documents related to construction refer to the Municipal Infrastructure Technical Specifications (MITS) website. For standard drawings refer to the Municipal Infrastructure Standard Drawings.
Preface and Guidance documents
These documents provide a preface and additional guidance to the relevant Municipal Infrastructure Standards (MIS). This section also provides a quick reference version tracking sheet. This document provides a quick snapshot to be used with contract documents and provides details of the current MIS version, versions of reference documents, and update notes relative to each MIS.
These documents should be read and used in conjunction with the MIS.
- Planning for Active Travel in the ACT
- Guideline to Landscape Municipal Infrastructure Standards
- Version Tracking sheet
Municipal Infrastructure Standards (MIS)
- MIS 01 Street planning and design (PDF 426KB)
- MIS 02 Earthworks and site grading (PDF 328KB)
- MIS 03 Pavement design (PDF 409KB)
- MIS 04 Subsurface drainage (PDF 391KB)
- MIS 05 Active Travel Facilities Design (PDF 3MB)
- MIS 05 Planning for Active travel (PDF 2.1MB)
- MIS 06 Verges (PDF 945KB)
- MIS 07 Driveways (PDF 930KB)
- MIS 08 Stormwater(PDF 13.7MB)
- MIS 09 Bridges and related structures (PDF 380KB)
- MIS 10 Fences, guardrails and barriers (PDF 430KB)
- MIS 11 Off-street parking (PDF 340KB)
- MIS 12 Guide signs (PDF 1.5MB)
- MIS 13 Traffic control devices (PDF 431KB)
- MIS 14 Public lighting
- MIS 15 Urban edges management zone (PDF 397KB)
- MIS 16 Urban Open Space (PDF 830KB)
- MIS 17 Shopping Centres and Commercial areas (PDF 449KB)
- MIS 18 Irrigation (PDF 2.2MB)
- MIS 19 Sportsgrounds
- MIS 20 Street and Park Furniture (PDF 497KB)
- MIS 21 Recreation Facilities (PDF 3.8MB)
- MIS 22 Signage for Urban Parks and Open Space (PDF 3.9MB)
- MIS 23 Public Toilets (PDF 329KB)
- MIS 24 Soft Landscape Design (PDF 609KB)
- MIS 25 Plant Species for Urban Landscape Projects (PDF 2.1MB)