Approval is required for constructing a new driveway, adding a second driveway or modifying an existing driveway. The same approval form is required for stormwater easements and waste and recycling management assessments.
Driveways from the edge of the road to the property boundary are located on territory land. It is important that design and construction of all driveways on territory land comply with Transport Canberra and City Services (TCCS) design standard for driveways (PDF 170KB). These documents are intended to ensure the safety and serviceability of the driveway.
For more information on driveway approvals please view the driveway factsheet.
Application forms for driveways, stormwater easements and waste and recycling management assessments can be completed at the same time and lodged via the TCCS Building Application—Statement of Endorsement and/or Compliance Form.
The driveway must be:
- outside the canopy/dripline of old or mature trees
- a minimum of 3 metres clear of small and new trees
- 1.2 metres clear of sumps and other services
- 1.5 metres clear of transformers, mini pillars and street lights
- 6 metres clear of Tangent Point (TP) or corner block
- on a site with a proposed uphill grade less than 17%
- on a site with a proposed downhill grade less than 12%
- at a right angle to the kerb line (max 1:10 deviation)
- all concrete is to be Grade 32 (32 Mpa)
- driveways are NOT to be constructed using 'exposed aggregate'
- footpaths are to take precedence over the driveway and are to remain continuous
- you must also ensure that you are not making any alterations to a nominated heritage site.
Before you start construction or modification of your driveway you are required to submit a copy of your site plan showing the design details of the proposed driveway to TCCS Development Review and Coordination (DRC).
Please make sure the site plan includes the following:
- property boundary
- road kerb line
- road name you are accessing from and to
- size, type and distance of canopy/dripline from the driveway of any trees
- distance of any services from the driveway (stormwater sumps, light poles, transformers etc).
For information on what needs to be included in the plans, please view the sample site plan (PDF 1,137KB).
Categories of driveway approvals
There are four categories of driveway approvals:
- exempt track (approval through TCCS)
- code track (approval through TCCS)
- merit track (approval through Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate - EPSDD)
- impact assessment track (approval through EPSDD).
A TCCS application is required if you are constructing a new driveway, adding a second driveway or modifying an existing driveway under the 'exempt track' or 'code track' categories. You must obtain approval from TCCS, located at 296 Northbourne Avenue, Dickson.
A TCCS application is not required if you are constructing a new driveway, adding a second driveway or modifying an existing driveway under the 'merit track' and 'impact assessment track' categories. Please lodge your development application to EPSDD.