Tours and Presentations
Curious about recycling?
Join us on a tour at the Recycling Education Centre and the landfill site in Hume.
- Learn more about recycling in the ACT and what happens beyond the bin.
- See the Materials Recovery Facility in action and learn how you can make a difference.
- Explore the science of sorting and processing to discover what our waste gets turned into.
- Get the bigger picture of waste management including how landfill management works, composting, energy from landfill gas, re-use and drop off facilities.
What we offer
Primary and Secondary Schools (from Year 2-12)
Explore the science of sorting and what happens to waste and recycling beyond the bin. Uncover the broader sustainability story in a one hour session incorporating:
- 30 minute Recycling Centre presentation
- 30 minute bus landfill tour.
The bus tour of the Mugga Lane Resource Management Centre visits:
- Landfill Gas Power station (Methane to electricity)
- Leachate environmental dam
- Green Waste facilities
- Re-use facilities including the Green Shed.
College and Tertiary Students
Interested in helping inspire the environmental leaders of the future?
We offer tailored programs that appeal to both College and Tertiary level students including extended discussion about:
- Practical environmental land management of the landfill (leachate)
- Conversion of methane to electricity (renewable energy production at our sites)
- ACT Government’s waste recovery target of 90% in action
- Social enterprise and resource recovery by visiting the ACT’s award winning Mattress Recycling Facility, Soft Landing.
Community Groups and Home Business Operators
Custom sessions can be organised with specially designed visual learning materials to meet the needs of your group. Examples of regular sessions we do are with the Migrant and Refugee Resettlement Services of the ACT, and English classes at the NAVITAS English school at the CIT. Or, you can get access to use our training materials. We can provide access to our session plans and some teaching materials that you can share with your group!
Family Day care workers, scout groups, seniors, housing committees, strata title managers or other sustainability groups are welcome to book MRF or landfill tours, or request our educators attend your venue for simpler presentations.
Fill in our smartform: https://form.act.gov.au/smartforms/landing.htm?formCode=1183.
View the following video link to view a 6 minute film which shows how the ACT’s recycling is collected from household kerbs, taken to the MRF in Hume, sorted and then reprocessed downstream into new products.
For enquiries about tours or presentations email email@example.com.