Kingston walking and cycling improvements
Work is underway to deliver a range of walking and cycling improvements in the Kingston Group Centre to create a more active community hub.
The Kingston Group Centre is one of Canberra’s oldest group centres and loved by the local community for its unique character. The centre is a mixed use public realm consisting of a variety of retail, dining and entertainment venues.
This $1 million upgrade for the Kingston Group Centre will include improvements to the area bordered by Giles Street, Kennedy Street, Eyre Street and Jardine Street and will make the precinct more safe and accessible for visitors on foot and bike.
- a coloured raised platform at the intersection of Eyre Street and Jardine Street with a pedestrian crossing on each of its three approaches
- a 2.5 metre wide concrete path on Eyre Street from Wentworth Avenue to the Group Centre
- path improvements including path widening in various locations throughout the Group Centre to improve accessibility
- a pedestrian crossing and lighting upgrade at the Giles Street and Jardine Street intersection
- new directional signage to make it easier for irregular visitors to locate the Group Centre.